- Stephen thinks he has made great progress.
- Stephen begins meeting by outlining great progress.
- Supervisors start a line of questioning that begins with, 'Have you thought about~?'
- This line of questioning ends in Stephen asking, five or ten times, 'I'm sorry, who did you say wrote that?' quickly followed by, 'I'm sorry, how do you spell that?'
- Then there is also a line of conversation that follows 'I think you need to read more about X term' which means more-or-less,
- Supervisor is not convinced Stephen knows what the word Stephen has been using again and again really means.
- This is of course true and leads to
- Stephen trying to defend his careless use of the word or phrase or idea and realizing he doesn't know what he's talking about in the middle of the statement
- resulting in Sarah Palin-style answers.
- Stephen leaves with notebook full of names and articles to look up and feeling deflated.
15 October 2008
My supervision meetings have gone a little bit like this: